Preparing for your Reopening Stock Count
“At long last we can see light at the end of the tunnel, with provisional dates for the reopening of the hospitality sector announced. With this in mind, we’re keen to make sure that we support our customers with reopening as smoothly as possible.”
– Kevin Green, Regional Stocktaking Director, Venners
There are a number of key services that we have found to be popular amongst customers during this time. Our reopening stock counts in particular, which cover various operational needs, have helped operators start afresh following each of the previous lockdowns. They help sites know exactly how much stock on hand they hold and, when benchmarked against close down stock counts, can help to identify true levels of shrinkage endured during the latest lockdown.
Having supported customers throughout the pandemic with close down and reopening stock counts, we have been able to determine a number of tasks that should be delivered as add-ons:
1. What should your reopening stock count include?
- Verifying current stock levels for ongoing accurate stock results (line in the sand)
- Checking all products, both wet and dry, for best before dates
- Checking that cost and selling prices are up to date on your systems
- Reviewing ordering and par levels
2. What other reopening checks should be completed?
If you oversee numerous sites, it can become a huge challenge to make sure that every site has taken the necessary steps to prepare for reopening properly. If these steps are not taken, it will inevitably drag down overall GP in the future. Compliance monitoring of reopening procedures across an estate can be extremely helpful as it supports operators in checking that systems are set up correctly. Things like your till setup for VAT rates and COVID policy compliance are just some of the key items you need to get right from the get go.
There have been many changes this past year, which includes product costs and more. Making sure menu pricing has been updated accordingly is a key task that you should not forego. Our stocktakers will by default pick up any smaller issues on your menu pricing, but it may also be useful to request more detailed support from our consultants who will fully reanalyse your menu for you.
3. Your ‘Don’t forget’ reopening tips
There are many basic things to consider as you reopen, which may be overlooked with the excitement and pressure of starting up again after such a long break. That’s why we thought we’d put together a small list of to-dos that might serve as a timely reminder.
- Clean and check your ice machine works correctly
- Ensure all glassware is clean and glass washing machines are working correctly
- Ensure all optics have been fully cleaned
- Fully programme your tills or EPOS systems with any new selling prices and new products
- Separate out all out of date stock
To book your reopening stock count, or get further advice from us on reopening well, fill in the form on this page now or visit venners.com/reopening